A bathroom needs to be functional and clean. It is a space where we like to relax and feel comfortable. Tidying up your bathroom won’t take long. Depending on the size, it usually takes 2 to 3 hours.
Follow these easy steps when organising your bathroom:
- First collect and sort out all communal items, e.g. toothpaste, soaps, foam bath, etc. and thereafter all personal items like beauty and hair products.
- Discard all expired and old items, as they can cause skin reactions. Cosmetics and toiletries usually expire after one year. There is a symbol on most products, which shows the lifetime of a product after it has been opened.
- Try to use up all your cosmetics before you purchase new ones.
- To get rid of excess bottles, e.g. you can decant two half bottles of lotions into one.
- After the discarding process, wipe all the storage spaces clean.
- Store your items in baskets or boxes, which makes it easier to manage and remove products from the cupboard.
- Organise items into groups, e.g. communal items, bath products, toilet paper etc.
- Store each group in a separate box.
- Have a basket for each family member.
- Old ceramic or glass containers or round plastic lids make great storage holders for smaller items like earbuds and cotton wool.
- Store all bottle items upright.
- Use a shower basket to store hair and body items.
- Store bath items on a bath tray or a tray next to the bath.
- Keep cleansing items like sponge and brush together in a basket.
- Store extra toilet paper in a basket inside your cupboard or a box with lid near the toilet. Guest’s don’t have to see your toilet paper or feminine products.
- A bathroom mirror cabinet above your basin is ideal for storing cosmetics and communal items such as sunblock and mouth fresheners.
- Don’t store medicines in the bathroom cabinet, because they should be kept away from moisture.
- No bathroom is complete without a storage cabinet under the basin, which can be used for storing toiletries, toilet paper and cleaning products. Use same sized baskets and keep each category in a separate basket.
- If you have enough space in your bathroom you can use a tall narrow storage cupboard for storing towels and baskets for each family member.
- Shelves are also great for storing baskets and displaying plants.
- Decorate with plants to create a fresh and homely appearance. You can place plants on window sills or hang them from the ceiling. Visit Pinterest for great ideas.
- If you don’t like plants then put a leave in a vase.
- No bathroom should be without a mirror. You even get ones with overhead lighting, which are useful for applying makeup.
- Ensure that there are enough hooks or towel rails for hanging up towels.
- Select soft rugs for the floor and keep a foot towel by the shower/bath to avoid rugs from getting wet.
- Place a group of candles by the bath for a relaxing atmosphere.
- Always keep a wastebasket near the toilet for discarding used tissues or feminine hygiene items.
- Keep a small face cloth near the basin so that you can keep the area dry and taps shiny after use.
- Have a plastic container for the kids’ bath toys.
- You can create beautiful finishing touches like using a ladder to put towels over or placing a side table next to the bath, if you have enough space.
“Wash your troubles away.”
Follow my 52 Week Organise your Life Programme